Do you find that as life gets busy and schedules are hectic that the first thing that disappears off your to-do list is spending time taking care of yourself? This is a common practice with parents. But if you are not taking care of yourself how can you be superman or superwoman and take care of everyone else? Self-care might mean something different to every person but it’s important to take the time to recharge so you can be your best you. Maybe the concept of taking care of yourself is foreign, so here are some awesome ideas to get you started! Pick at least one off the list (or better yet try them all) and try it today!
- Body work. This can come in a variety of forms from chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture treatments or massage therapy. These types of therapies stimulate the nervous system, relieve muscles tension and decrease stress. Why not do them all?!
- Exercise-the hardest part is making it to the gym, your yoga mat or getting outside for a run. But your body will thank you. Exercise raises your heart rate, gets your muscles working and the best part it is energizing. Another benefit is that you will probably sleep better. What is your favorite way to move your body?
- Meditation can be a great way to focus on breathing and being aware of your body which calms the mind. It can be an intimidating activity to undertake. A great way to get started is by using guided meditation recordings. You can find them on YouTube and even get an app for your phone. It can be a great way to get grounded as you start your day, or a way to unwind at night.
- Soak in a tub. Light some candles, get some Epsom salt, put on a face mask or enjoy a refreshing drink of your choice and relax. The combination of warm water and magnesium in the Epsom salt will completely relax your muscles and your body will thank you for it.
- Putting healthy fuel into your body. This could be anything from cooking a healthy meal with lots of green veggies to drinking at least half your body weight in oz of water throughout your day.
- Schedule time every week to do something you love. Whatever that means for you from a game of golf, to a run outside, to having a coffee date with a friend or reading a book in the park. Make this weekly time sacred and use it to rejuvenate.
This is just the beginning of a list on self-care. The possibilities are endless. Post below on what your favorite ways to practice self-care include. We all love to be inspired on new ways to take care of our one and only body.